Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- One loaf, minus the ends of Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips or 1/2 cup cacao chips, your choice
- 4 medium ripe bananas, sliced ½” thick
- 3 cups almond milk
- 5 tablespoons arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 – 9 x 5 loaf pans with coconut oil. Place cubed bread in the pans and set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together milk and the arrowroot powder till no lumps remain. Add maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk to combine. Pour over cubed bread and stir to coat every piece. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes for liquid to soak into bread. Depending on what kind of bread you use and how stale it is, add a little more milk and allow more soaking time till every piece of bread is saturated and there’s a little bit of extra liquid. Mixture should look mushy and wet. Fold in chocolate chips and bananas, I use my hands to squish the bananas. If you have kids, this can be a fun part of the recipe! Pour mixture into loaf pans.
Bake 30-35 minutes till top is puffed, slightly browned and feels firm. Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving. Always a hit when served warm!